Freelance Authors/Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freelance Authors/Writers

There was a post not too long ago that I wanted to hijack but can't find it any longer. In a nutshell it stated that writers are exempt from UNICAP and all expenses are deductible as incurred independent of actually receiving income. A lot of the books nowadays are sold through Amazon and similar sources and no books are actually printed. No problem here. But if books are actually printed I assume inventory needs to be kept and the cost of printing the books will be deductible only prorated. I couldn't find anything, could someone please confirm? Thanks,

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
    are exempt from UNICAP and all expenses are deductible as incurred independent of actually receiving income.

The rule is that if the business income is less then $27,000,000-ish, that you have the option to treat Inventory as "Non-Incidental Materials and Supplies".

The rule for deducting "Non-Incidental Materials and Supplies" is that you deduct the cost when the item is used or consumed ... pretty much like Inventory.

Comment

Employee expenses are generally now allowed anymore. But for a select few occupations, employee expenses are deductible as an "adjustment to income." Writers are one of those few occupations.

Comment

Working...
      X