1120 conversion to 1120S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1120 conversion to 1120S

Client has filed 1120 corporate returns for years and has had continual losses. Prior tax prepaer suggested they convert to 1120S. They have received a letter from IRS authorizing the change to 1120S for 2022. Can they carry forward the losses from 1120 to 1120S for 2022?. I assume their 1120 EIN will be same for 1120S and their incorporation date would remain the same as original incopration date for the 1120. Are there any caveats I should be concerned about?

"Are there any caveats I should be concerned about?"

Yes.

"for years and has had continual losses."

Is it a business or a hobby?
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Yes, it is a business and not a hobby. I was concerned about the coversion considerations.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcdtax View Post
        Can they carry forward the losses from 1120 to 1120S for 2022?

Are there any caveats I should be concerned about?

In addition to what Robert said, IF it is a business (with presumably an eventual profit), the NOL is now 'stuck' in the C-corp and can't be used unless the S-election is revoked. So at first glance, changing to a S-corporation seems to be a rather bad idea.

Comment

The NOLs from the C cannot be carried over to the S. Section 1371(b)

Possibility of BIG needs to be remembered if assets are involved.

Comment

The conversion was not my idiea. I was thinking the losses would be lost. Not sure if that was explained to client when the conversion was suggested

Comment

Working...
            X