Social Security office not cooperating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security office not cooperating

A long time client passed away this year, leaving a son as executor of his estate. A letter testamentary has been issued. Problem: The home was sold immediately. A forwarding address was registered with the USPS but they say they can not forward the SSA1099. When the son contacted the local SS office he was told they will not send the decedents 1099 to him, no way-no how. Not even with the letter testamentary. When he asked what should he do to be able to file his father's return they told him "that's your problem".
    Is this an atypical response from SSA? Just someone having a bad day? This client always had excess deductions taken from his pension so a significant refund is probable. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Make another call and hope someone else will be able to help you better.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I used to run into this occasionally when I was at H&R. If you know what the net monthly deposit amounts were, you should be able to reverse engineer the gross since the deductions for Medicare are usually well known (same for everyone unless IRMAA is involved or fed withholding was taken - which is also a known percentage, usually). Barring that, if you have the prior year 1099-SSA, the COLA increase is known and you should be able to calculate what the current year looked like. If you are off by a few dollars, or even a hundred dollars, I wouldn't worry about, at least the return will be efiled and the refund process started. Note that 1099-SSA data is not normally included with the return, so it is not like a W-2 or 1099-R when it comes to efiling.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Does the 1099-SSA show up on a transcript? If so, wouldn't that be an easy way to do it.?

Comment

Here is a number to call. Beneficiaries may call SSA's N8NN at 1-800-772-1213 between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to request a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042.

Comment

Not sure how calling the 800 number will get a different result from what was posted in the OP. The beneficiary is deceased. A transcript request might work (but a lot of hassle to get authorization for a decedent), but aren't those not updated until sometime around May?

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
            X