Sub-lease income - How to report...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub-lease income - How to report...

Sch C client rents space of 2,400 sf for therapy business but uses only 1,400 sf. Client sub-leases the remaining 1,000 sf out to another business. Is the sub-lease income for this 1,000 sf reported by the client as a reduction of rent on the Sch C? For example, the client pays $1,900 per month for rent expense and receives $700 in sub-lease income. Would the client report rent expense on Sch C of the net amount of $1,200? Or, would the client show $1,900 in rent expense and $700 in 'Other Income' on Line 6 Sch C? Either way would increase self-employment income for the sub-lease income received. I would think reporting the income on Sch E would not apply here.

Because it is income as a result of your business it should be reported as other income on the schedule C.

Comment

I don't agree. Schedule C and the taxpayer is the same thing. So let's rephrase it.

Taxpayer rents space for $1900. Business expense is $1200.

Taxpayer rents out space for $700. That goes on Schedule E. Nothing about paying or receiving that sublease has to do with his Schedule C business, so it doesn't belong on Schedule C.

Comment

If it goes on schedule E no SS will be paid on it. That is good?
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Years ago this came up in an audit. The examiner told me it goes on Schedule E. I have been doing it this way ever since. I try to apportion the expenses to the rental income so that it comes out with a small profit.

Comment

Working...
          X