NT - Backup Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT - Backup Service

Can anyone recommend a backup service? I have used Carbonite for years but the credit card changed my number and they couldn't charge my card.

Guess what?? There is NO WAY to reach these people by phone. Even "customer service" blog has "Frequently asked questions" with dozens of pages to read through. Whether these computer genius people like it or not, there are some occasions when nothing else can suffice except a real live person on the telephone.

Computer companies are not the only ones too cheap to hire telephone people. Endless telephone menus which cut you off after 15 minutes of asking you questions and telling you "your call is very important to us".

I am currently without backup service and would appreciate a recommendation.

I would try any of the Sales telephone numbers. Sales tends to answer! And, you are trying to buy/renew. https://www.carbonite.com/contact-us

Comment

A computer backup is like insurance - you don't know what you're getting for your money until you "file a claim" = "restore a backup".

Did you ever test the restoration of your backup (assuming a complete failure / destruction / theft of your production machine) from Carbonite? In other words, could you buy a brand new off-the-shelf notebook computer at the nearest electronics store and successfully get yourself back to where you left off, using only your Carbonite access?

"I am currently without backup service"

Not a good look, but at least you are trying to fix it.

In the short term, you could always just buy an external disk drive, plug it in to your Windows machine (assuming Windows), and copy your critical data directories from the workstation to the external drive.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
        I would try any of the Sales telephone numbers. Sales tends to answer! And, you are trying to buy/renew. https://www.carbonite.com/contact-us
        Thanks Lion. I did use the contact number and listened to an endless telephone menu that no matter which option I chose, Even choosing the "Sales" option dumped me back into the menu. I heard another long message and of course, was referred to the website for more "helpful" information. After the menu exhausted all efforts to get me off the phone, they finally put me through to a real person, telling me "this call may be monitored to assure good service". I finally got through to a real person!! YAY!! But it was voice mail. "This is xxxxxxxxxx, please leave a detailed message and your phone number and I'll call you back." That was four days ago.

RR thank you for your response, but I would appreciate someone referring me to another backup company other than Carbonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
          could you buy a brand new off-the-shelf notebook computer at the nearest electronics store and successfully get yourself back to where you left off, using only your Carbonite access?
          No, Carbonite only backs up data.

Originally posted by Beersheba View Post
          That was four days ago.
          Sales will never call you back for a technical problem. I'm sure you'll have just as much difficulty getting a live tech person with most cheap backup services.

I recall people on some of these listservs mentioning Mozy & iDrive. My computer guy used Mozy a decade ago, don't know what he uses now but if he switched he probably went with something like MS Azure.

Have you googled? Lots of reviews:

The best cloud backup services help prevent your data from being lost to hardware failure or physical disasters

Protecting yourself from data loss is critical. Our top-rated backup services make it easy to create online and local copies of files from computers and mobile devices so you can always retrieve them if something terrible happens.

We review the best cloud backup services so you can find the right solution for keeping a safe, offsite copy of your data should disaster strike.

Secure and access your data with the best cloud backup services

Online backup services are the best way to prevent accidental data loss. We’ve listed the best cloud backup services to help you choose.

"Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Thank you Anarchrist. You really did answer the question.

Comment

Working...
            X