1031 Exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1031 Exchange

Taxpayer sold Rental building on December 1st, 2021. He purchased 3 other rental buildings in January of 2022 in a 1031 exchange.
    Extension has been filed for 2021.
    Can I close the deal by reporting the purchases completed in 2022 on the 2021 return or do I have to wait until I file the 2022 return?
    Thanks
    Brian
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

This does not sound like a 1031 exchange but as a sale of one asset and a purchase 3 assets.

Comment

Do the “rules” below help?

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

All the rules were followed in the 1031 exchange.
        My question is: Can I close the deal by reporting the purchases completed in 2022 on the 2021 return or do I have to wait until I file the 2022 return?
        Thanks
        Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Brian: If the rules were followed then you poorly described what happened. He could not sell them in December and purchase 3 new ones in January. It has to be all one transaction and it has to be handled by a third party. Did he sell it in December? Did he purchase then in January? Did a third party intermediary do all the transactions?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian EA View Post
            All the rules were followed in the 1031 exchange.
            My question is: Can I close the deal by reporting the purchases completed in 2022 on the 2021 return or do I have to wait until I file the 2022 return?
            Thanks

see the link below page 3. Does that help?

Last edited by TAXNJ; 07-20-2022, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty2004 View Post
              Brian: If the rules were followed then you poorly described what happened. He could not sell them in December and purchase 3 new ones in January. It has to be all one transaction and it has to be handled by a third party. Did he sell it in December? Did he purchase then in January? Did a third-party intermediary do all the transactions?
              Building was sold in December and handled by a third-party intermediary. Three replacement buildings were purchased in January 2022.

Comment

Building was sold in December and handled by a third-party intermediary. Three replacement buildings were purchased in January 2022.
                Hopefully you worked closely with the “third party” 1031 expert.

If you read the rules and it conforms and read “The 45-day identification period and 180-day exchange periods start when the first of several sales close”, and references provided, do you still have an issue?
                Last edited by TAXNJ; 07-20-2022, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post

Hopefully you worked closely with the “third party” 1031 expert.

If you read the rules and it conforms and read “The 45-day identification period and 180-day exchange periods start when the first of several sales close”, and references provided, do you still have an issue?
                  Everything was done according to the rules of a 1031 Exchange.
                  The question is: Can I close the deal by reporting the purchases completed in 2022 on the 2021 return or do I have to wait until I file the 2022 return?
                  Thanks

Comment

Everything was done according to the rules of a 1031 Exchange.
                    The question is: Can I close the deal by reporting the purchases completed in 2022 on the 2021 return or do I have to wait until I file the 2022 return?
                    Thanks
                    Does page 3 of the attachment specifically “When to Report an Exchange” address your issue? Have you read it?

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post

Does page 3 of the attachment specifically “When to Report an Exchange” address your issue? Have you read it?
                      Yes, it has.
                      Thanks
                      Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X