Recovery rebate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovery rebate

I have a client, that has brought me a tax return that was prepared by another tax company for me to review. Here is the situation. She has 3 children, one of which was born in 2021. She received $2,800, for the recovery rebate credit for her children. She should be entitled for an additional $1,400 for the child the child that was born in 2021. Problem is, 1 of the children is from a previous marriage and the 2021 tax year is her ex husbands year to claim the child. So, in 2021 she only has 2 children to claim on her taxes. I she still entitled to the additional $1,400 for the recovery rebate credit, or does the recovery rebate credit go along with the child tax credit, for her ex-husband. Have not been able to find a definitive answer with my research.

Thank you

The credit is based on the number of people on the tax return.

Besides herself, she had two dependents on her tax return, which is worth $2800. She already received $2800, so there is no additional credit for her.

Comment

Originally posted by rwm221 View Post
      ……Have not been able to find a definitive answer with my research.

Thank you
      Usually you can find a definitive answer on the IRS web-site or TheTaxBook. See if below helps you:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-re...021-tax-return
      Last edited by TAXNJ; 07-18-2022, 01:14 PM.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
      X