Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Business Accounting Software (Free)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Business Accounting Software (Free)

One of my small business client sells fire wood, clears lots etc. There are two employees (one part time), plus the owner. It is a single member LLC.

I was just informed that they did not renew Quickbooks because of the renewal fee close to $90 per month. The owner's son who is computer literate with a college degree (the part time employee) installed GNUCASH software (https://www.gnucash.org/)

Anyone have experience with GNUCASH. They don't take any online payments, but they do mail out invoices.

I was told they will be able to export the Quickbooks transactions and import them into GNUCASH. They mainly use it for income/expense/payable/receivable tracking. Business equipment like trucks and machinery is tracked by me in my software.

Thanking you in advance for any comments, observations etc.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Get what you pay for?

No online invoicing as you said.

Also, the big one for them would be NO payroll support. That by itself is worth the $90/month which is still about 1/2 what it would cost for you to process that for them?

Chris

Comment

"They mainly use it for income/expense/payable/receivable tracking"

Sounds like they do not do their own payroll.

Online payments can be received via Paypal (or Zelle or similar).

I wonder if they really need the $90/mo version of QBO (I'm assuming that is what is being discussed), although Intuit seems to be raising prices like crazy these days.

Sorry, haven't used Gnucash so no help on that.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

It appears quickbooks when all subscription based even on desktop. That being said, you might look to see if they really needed the $90/month option. They also have a $40 and a $12 a month plan without payroll.

Chris

Comment

Check out Medlin.com. I use their billing program. They have Accounting & Payroll.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I may have to download GNUCASH and check it out myself. This client outsourced payroll to a retired bookkeeper. I have some other clients who were complaining about Quickbooks increasing their fee every year. Most of them also run payroll so it will be a difficult switch.

I will also take a look at Medlin.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I hear other tax preparers switching their clients to Gusto. (Got out of payroll myself, so never used it.)

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
                It appears quickbooks when all subscription based even on desktop. That being said, you might look to see if they really needed the $90/month option. They also have a $40 and a $12 a month plan without payroll.

Chris
                Spanel, which version of QBO would the $12/month be (not interested in an introductory price)? I would be most delighted if any reasonable QB option is still available.

Comment

I was talking to another accountant about this issue and they are also recommending moving away from QB if the concern about frequent price increases is the main issue. The challenge is to find a good local bookkeeper that also does small business payroll. It is always the payroll that causes problems for sole prop bookkeepers who don't have the support to manage the finicky nature of other small business owners.

Comment

Working...
                  X