Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-Rental for Real Estate Professional

My software is allowing this which makes me want other opinions:

My software is allowing the Self-Rental Loss to become non-passive for an RE Professional.

Self-rental losses are normally categorized as Passive, however Real Estate Professionals' rental activities are deemed to be non-passive.
    It is appearing that the RE Professional Rule is superseding the Self-Rental Rule, and I can't find any guidance that says otherwise.

Originally posted by jacob@JZGCPA.com View Post
    Self-rental losses are normally categorized as Passive,

The special self-rental rules make the gain non-passive. The self-rental rules don't change the usual rule that ALL rental losses are normally categorized as Passive. Being a Real Estate Professional (and Materially Participating in that rental) make rentals non-passive.

So the software seems correct.

Comment

Software is correct in treating the rental losses as non passive for RE Professional. Have you made sure that the taxpayer is eligible to be a RE professional by passing both the test conditions?

I have run into situations where the qualification was very questionable?
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Here is a great article from Tax Adviser on real estate professionals:
        This article lays out the steps for determining whether a taxpayer qualifies as a real estate professional.

Comment

Working...
        X