Changing from MFS to MFJ and finding a way to e-file to add a spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing from MFS to MFJ and finding a way to e-file to add a spouse

I did some research, but came up with a dead-end so I'm hoping someone has done this before. My client and her husband have always has filed MFS since before I took her on. Her AGI roughly 160k, his roughly $30k. Kid in college, too. 1098t with meat on the bone for AOTC if MFJ. Her husband is not my client so he already filed his MFS. She provided me with his info, and they save a LOT if they file MFJ. They want to make the change, but first I have to amend at least one return. Hers not filed yet. I hate to use snail-mail since the IRS is incredibly delayed. Her return is fairly complex with sch C, sch. E, sch. D, K-1, etc so I don't want to just amend his and add her on as spouse because that is a LOT of new data entry. I want to add him to hers and make him the spouse.

These clients have a substantial balance due no matter if they stay MFS or go MFJ so I'm not worried about delay for any refunds. Just hoping to e-file it all if possible since mailing 100 pages will be a bummer.

My thought it this: e-file my client's return as MFS then amend to MFJ and add her husband as spouse and keep her as primary. Adding his info to the return is easy. I believe I could e-file that 1040X, but that part I'm not sure about...

Just trying to find a way to e-file it all. I can do an extension if needed and finish it later this month, too. Clients know they need to pay by the 19th (here in Maine we get an extra day due to Patriot's Day).

I do use Drake.

Last few days I know everyone is really busy! Thanks all.

Call Drake. Everyone says they answer immediately. (I don't use Drake)

Comment

Yeah I was a bit long-winded in my first post, but essentially I just want to know if you can e-file one person MFS then e-file a 1040X with MFJ and add a spouse on, if the IRS allows that to e-file or if you get the "SSN already used on a prior return" or some other reject error. I would assume it can be done, but I've never done a 1040X e-file changing MFS to MFJ. Used to always have to mail it all in before IRS started allowing 1040X e-filing.

Comment

"I just want to know if you can e-file one person MFS then e-file a 1040X with MFJ and add a spouse on, if the IRS allows that to e-file or if you get the "SSN already used on a prior return" or some other reject error. I would assume it can be done,"

Why don't you try it? What do you have to lose? (I'm assuming you have to do the same amount of data input either way).
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
          "I just want to know if you can e-file one person MFS then e-file a 1040X with MFJ and add a spouse on, if the IRS allows that to e-file or if you get the "SSN already used on a prior return" or some other reject error. I would assume it can be done,"

Why don't you try it? What do you have to lose? (I'm assuming you have to do the same amount of data input either way).
          Yes, that is exactly what I plan to do. Then if it doesn't work I'll print 100 pages and have the client mail it all in! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X