• Show
Clear All

2021 Federal Extension Rejected 04-15-2022

I e-Filed a 2021 Federal Extension today and it was rejected

Federal Extension
    Rejected
    Apr 15, 2022
    Details for your rejected filing.

Error message: Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return
    Solution: This return was rejected by the IRS because the taxpayer's identification number assigned to this return has already been filed and accepted by the IRS. Please verify that you have accurately entered the taxpayer's SSN or TIN and make corrections if required. If no errors have been made in the entry of the taxpayer's SSN or EIN, it may be necessary to contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for further guidance.
    Code: R0000-902-01

We have verified the taxpayer's name and SSN are accurately entered.

The taxpayer called the 1-800-829-1040 number and I called PPS at 866-860-4259. Both of us got a message "Due to extremely high call volume, we are unable to handle your call at this time. Please try your call again later or on our next business day."

Is the IRS not answering the phone today due to Emancipation Day holiday today? What options do we have to file a federal extension other than waiting until the next business day Monday, April 18, 2022 to try to call again?

It sounds like somebody else already filed an extension or the tax return itself.

If you want to be extra safe, I would recommend mailing the extension. That seems WAY easier than calling the IRS.

Comment

Can they make a payment w/extension on IRS DirectPay?

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
        It sounds like somebody else already filed an extension or the tax return itself.

If you want to be extra safe, I would recommend mailing the extension. That seems WAY easier than calling the IRS.
        Should I also mail a Form 14039 Identity Theft Affidavit with Form 4868 Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return?

Taxpayer is not making a payment and currently lives in Oklahoma but was a full year resident of Texas in 2021. Instructions for Where To File a Paper Form 4868 state:

If you live in Texas and you’re not making a payment, send Form 4868 to Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Austin, TX 73301-0045.

If you live in Oklahoma and you’re not making a payment, send Form 4868 to Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Kansas City, MO 64999-0045.

Where should Form 4868 be mailed? Should it be mailed to Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Austin, TX 73301-0045 or to Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Kansas City, MO 64999-0045?

Comment

Originally posted by taxmcp View Post
          lives in Oklahoma

If you live in Oklahoma
          Question seems to answer itself
          "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Working...
          X