Electronic Fund Withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Fund Withdrawal

Does the IRS allow an EFW from an account that is not in the name of the taxpayer? I have a dependent with a balance due and the parents want the draft from their account. The dependent has no account.

I’m sure for refunds the name on the account needs to match a name on the 1040, but what about EFW?

Thanks…..

The bank may have a problem completing the withdrawal, not the IRS.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I had that happen 2 times. The bank would not honor the request because the daughters name was not on the account. Happened at Federal and state level both.

Comment

I went to IRS web site, made a 2021 Form 1040-V payment for my married daughter using my personal bank account, and everything went fine.
        Her "name" obviously does not match my name.

Comment

Some banks are more vigilant that others. Over the years I have had situations where the child's refund (same last name and address) went to the parent's account. This was not known to me when I processed th return.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
            Some banks are more vigilant that others. Over the years I have had situations where the child's refund (same last name and address) went to the parent's account. This was not known to me when I processed th return.
            No "child" was involved here, as daughter is in her 30s.
            I did have to jump through some hoops at the official IRS payment site, IIRC more to prove who SHE was first and then provide my RTN/DAN for the payment.
            (Bank involved is Wells Fargo.)

Comment

Working...
            X