Trailing expenses for Sch C or Sch E activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailing expenses for Sch C or Sch E activity

When I prepare a return for a client with 1040/Sch C or Sch E activity, a portion of my fees for preparation is a business expense in the year paid. TY21 fees, deductible in TY22, for instance.

How do I handle when the activity ceases? For instance, Rental activity ceases and property sold in TY21. Where can the TY22 business expense be claimed. File Sch E showing only expense of tax preparation?

Appreciate thoughts and thanks for the wisdom of the crown.

I do the billing so that the final Sch C or Sch E includes my last charge related to that. I usually get a heads up the prior year. I changed my method after TCJA enacted.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

This is an issue that tax professionals will have when they retire, since E&O tail insurance will be strongly advised for at least 3 years after last paid return is filed. I don't see a problem with just continuing a Schedule C for those last few years with minor expenses, even with no revenue. Granted you won't get any deduction against your SE tax, but at least you will for income tax.
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
      X