1099-misc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-misc

Taxpayer receives a 1099-MISC showing rental income. Taxpayer receive income from an oil and natural gas company for allowing a pad on her property. Should income be reflected on schedule E or “other income” on 1040? The outcome is the same….taxable income, but would like to know how other tax preparers handle.

Peggy Sioux

If the 1099 reports Rental, I'd report it as a rental/Schedule E unless I had a good reason to report it elsewhere. I like to make it easy for the IRS, all else being equal.

Comment

I'd guess it might be a royalty going on a sch E. I've seen those come in as royalties before. It is reported on the 1099 as rental income or royalty income box 1 or 2? Maybe either way doesn't matter much. It's been a few years since I've seen a 1099 from an oil and gas company, though. Sch E would be my vote either way, and your software might automatically send it to the sch E if you enter the 1099.

Comment

No need to guess, look at the 1099-Misc and is it marked are Royalty, Rent, Other Income? Then proceed accordingly.

I have a client that leases a portion of land on his farm to Verizon for a tower and his 1099-Misc is marked Rent for $15,000 per year each year for the last 4 years.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
        X