Start Up Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start Up Expenses

Client began business in 2021 and has income/expenses providing a professional service. Filing Sche C. Also, took training class to add (related) new feature to business, which has not yet been implemented. Can this training class be considered a start-up expense? It was paid for in 2021, but this feature won't be implemented until 2022. New feature involves selling of self-created materials and books.

I don't think so.

If it is closely related to the business and considered as part of the same business, I would just view it as deductible educational expense.

If it is not close enough to the current business and considered as a new business, I suspect it is not deductible at all (education to start a new business is not deductible).

Comment

It's definitely related, and it can be deductible as an educational expense. But it will create a loss, as it was nearly $7K, and TP doesn't need it. I would like to be able to use some of it in future years. Can it be capitalized?

Comment

To clarify further, this will provide a future benefit lasting over a period of years. It was not required to meet the minimum necessary requirements of the business, or licensing, etc.

Comment

Burke, of course you can capitalize the expense. The question becomes whether you can amortize it. Could you make an argument that the expense was similar to a website development, or a developed software, or a 3 year prepaid advertising contract? Something along those lines where you would have a period of 3 years and not the Sec197 15 years? Or even a prepaid insurance contract? I know I may be getting confused with book/tax differences here but if you capitalize it, how will you amortize it?

Comment

Working...
          X