Loss of QBI deduction??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of QBI deduction??

A high income contractor will have a significant QBI deduction, except for the fact that he has no W-2 wages. Even though he has no W-2 wages, he has significant sub-contractors to whom he has issued 1099s. Can he use any of the $$ from issuing 1099s as if they were W-2 wages??

All my research tells me this cannot be done.

Some of those of you that read this may conclude that he should have a payroll. I won't argue this, although most of the 1099s are for legitimate subcontractors who have their own businesses. My guess is there are some people who are paid weekly who should constitute a payroll. This may be true, but he won't do it, and since the IRS dings employees with deadlines and penalties, I almost don't blame him. He is independently wealthy and will shut down before he puts up with having to do a payroll. He is diligent about issuing 1099s, but if the State of Tennessee comes after him for Unemployment taxes, I wouldn't be able to defend him. Instead of getting into ethical issues with a potential payroll, I invite you to contemplate the question as posed in the first paragraph.

Thanks

No
    (the system won't let me post an answer with less than 10 characters, otherwise I'd have ended this after "No")
    "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

What he saved in payroll taxes probably will exceed the benefit of QBI, until he gets audited. Maybe then QBI can be introduced as a partial offset to a large tax bill.
      Last edited by BOB W; 02-13-2022, 02:06 PM.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Good observation Bob W. Not to mention the misery of payroll deadlines, dings by the IRS,

Comment

I lost the 3,000 CTC. I would have it except for the fact that my kid has fur and 4 legs.

Comment

Working...
          X