The 1040 Virtual Currency Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1040 Virtual Currency Question

Am having trouble understanding if the virtual currency question requires a YES answer in this instance.
    My customer apparently bought a tiny amount of Coinbase in 2021.
    He did not use it in any way during 2021. Just bought it with U.S. dollars and held.
    The question as asked, seems to require a YES answer, but from what I have read, this circumstance would allow for a NO.
    Thanks for comments

Originally posted by RWG1950 View Post
    Am having trouble understanding if the virtual currency question requires a YES answer in this instance.
    My customer apparently bought a tiny amount of Coinbase in 2021.
    He did not use it in any way during 2021. Just bought it with U.S. dollars and held.
    The question as asked, seems to require a YES answer, but from what I have read, this circumstance would allow for a NO.
    Thanks for comments
    Comment = Did you read the content on page 17 of the 1040 2021 instructions?

Comment

Thanks NYEA. Hadn't seen this. It was a big help.

Comment

Well. Since there is nothing I can do with just a purchase I am asking my clients to provide a Coinbase or other report showing all crypto activities for the current year. I keep this as part of my recordkeeping. Now if they were taxing on un-realized then I would see the point.
        However, If they do tax on un-realized, the stock market will dry up like a dessert.
        Matthew Jones
        Tax Preparation
        Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
        Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Working...
        X