solo 401

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solo 401

Sole shareholder of an s-corp opened a solo 401 for himself - I find out today that he contributed but did not reflect anything on his w2 which he already filed all year end payroll forms.
    My question is can I treat the total he contributed as the "employer" portion and leave the w2 as is? Or will i have to correct all his payroll???

Yes he does his own payroll.

Thank you in advance.

One possible alternative would be to leave the W-2 alone and deduct "Self-Employed Retirement" as an "Adjustment" for the amount contributed.

Comment

If the amount of the contribution was at or under the employer limit, sure, that seems to be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
        One possible alternative would be to leave the W-2 alone and deduct "Self-Employed Retirement" as an "Adjustment" for the amount contributed.
        I would be able to do this with a solo 401?

Comment

Originally posted by JT2307 View Post

I would be able to do this with a solo 401?
          Not sure what Snags is referring to but it doesn't sound too good.

The Solo K has two components - an employee elective deferral from wages and an employer profit sharing contribution. The elective deferral is just that - not a requirement. For an S-Corp the profit sharing portion can be 25% of wages. It is a deduction on the 1120-S. As TGB notes you're good to go assuming your numbers are in line.

Comment

Amount is just under the amount for the employer so that is the way I am going! Thanks for the input.

Comment

Thanks NYEA - I shoot from the hip too often without research. Happy you were there to set things straight.

Comment

Working...
              X