Change the EIN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change the EIN?

Ok, here is a frustrating situation with a new client. Client filed their 2019 and 2020 partnership tax return like normal. They changed to a new tax accountant in early 2021, and the new accountant requested a new EIN. Why, I have no clue. What I don't have are any of the letters from the IRS with any of the EIN's. Now the new accountant opened up new bank accounts using the new EIN, again, I don't know why.
    When I asked the client, they only said that the accountant suggested this and they thought it was ok.
    There is no change in the business or partners.
    I need to contact the IRS to ask what name is showing on the new EIN, as well to find out if the old EIN was terminated. I've called several times this week, with either not being to get through, or being hung up twice after over a two hour hold each time.
    Again, client has no information to provide.
    I cannot find the old accountant, I've actually driven by the office address provided, and it is empty.
    While I don't want to use the new EIN, I cannot determine why a new EIN was created.
    I'm trying to lookup my question, but the answers always comes up with something not related to what I am asking.
    I'm thinking it's a simple answer, but I just cannot think at the moment.
    I appreciate any assistance.
    Last edited by mario100; 01-14-2022, 06:17 PM.

Almost similar situation. We had a former client ask for assistance in getting a copy of his company’s IRS Original EIN letter (bank wanted a copy for a new loan).

Told him to stop by the office one day at 7:00am and was able to reach someone in the IRS who provided information to the former client. You might consider that strategy.

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

call the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line toll free at 1-800-829-4933 between the hours of 7am and 7pm in your local time zone.

Comment

Again, we found that calling starting at 7:00am is best to avoid long hold time.

Also, see the last paragraph of link below so client will know what will be asked.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...laced-your-ein
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
        X