2022 Tax Season Start Date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Tax Season Start Date?

I just read this in CPA Practice Advisor. Is this correct? Could not find a date on IRS.GOV.
    IRS will start accepting income tax returns on Jan. 31, 2022.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Found this on https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers...ile-mef-status

Filing Season Start Dates:

Business tax returns: January 8, 2021

Individual tax returns: February 12, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by terryats View Post
      Found this on https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers...ile-mef-status

Filing Season Start Dates:

Business tax returns: January 8, 2021

Individual tax returns: February 12, 2021
      This was for 2021.....

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post

This was for 2021.....

Chris
        Now you are someone who completely reads a reply post.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Spanel, you absolutely are correct, thanks for pointing that out. I haven't seen anything official on opening this year.

Comment

Start date is Jan 24- End date is April 19th.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Business e-filing opened 7 January 2022.
              Free File opened 14 January 2022.
              Individual e-file opens 24 January 2022 and closes 18 April 2022 in most of the country, 19 April in MA and ME.

Comment

Are you guys seeing a rush to get tax returns e-filed because there is a good chance refunds will be delayed? My phone is ringing off the hook!
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

No, but a few 2020 returns came out of the woodwork now that it's January 2022.

Comment

IRS is not prepared to deal with either us or our clients. Last week's IRS report card showed that.
                    Until IRS cleans up its act in processing prior years' filed tax returns, cleared up returns with discrepancies, why can't it just come out and grant everyone an extended deadline for filing - like it has for
                    the past two years? Why should we be handicapped due to IRS's inefficiency in administration while we're under the gun for continuous compliance issues that to a great extent are due to IRS's continuously changing its policies during the middle of tax return season because of poor planning of issues as they make their policy decisions.
                    A perfect example of this is - at end of 2020 I had a multi-year MFJ client come to me to bring multi-years' filings up to date. Not all of them were e-fileable because of the 2-year maximum. A couple of those years had Federal tax overpayments applied to a subsequent year. Since 2018 (at that point) was the earliest e-fileable year, IRS first started mailing deficiency notices out for 2018 first. By that time all prior years' returns had been filed, tax liability due had been paid with the returns. We asked for "reasonable cause" with a letter from me explaining the multi-year situation - FTA was being reserved for the earliest tax year paper-filed. IRS comes back rejecting the "reasonable cause" because they had no record of prior years' return being filed. That's because IRS hadn't processed the prior returns yet - so how can the system possibly be operating efficiently. Add that by millions of other similar type cases - and we're in for a rocky ride this tax season with IRS starting off behind before it even begins? Now add the COVID related problems of the past 2 years - and it's going to be worse.
                    Is this IRS's belief that it is operating a "fair" system of tax administration?
                    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

IRS is not prepared to deal with either us or our clients. Last week's IRS report card showed that.
                      I think we would be doing our clients a favor by lowering their expectations of a fast refund or a problem resolution with the IRS. I know last year after folks started calling me to check on their delayed refunds, I had to tell them the bad news! I expect this problem to last this tax season and may be next until this curse of COVID is somehow managed better going forward. Hopefully newer vaccines will make it like the seasonal flu.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
                        A perfect example of this is - at end of 2020 I had a multi-year MFJ client come to me to bring multi-years' filings up to date. Not all of them were e-fileable because of the 2-year maximum. A couple of those years had Federal tax overpayments applied to a subsequent year.
                        Some of your points are valid but are we to feel sorry for taxpayers who fail to carry out their obligations? Actions (or lack thereof) do have consequences

Comment

Yes - and so do "actions" (or lack thereof) of IRS also have consequences. Lack of confidence in government being one of them.
                          We're now starting a new tax filing year when IRS's processing of prior year returns that have an impact on 2021's returns haven't been completed yet.
                          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

I blame Congress for adding to the IRS's workload with welfare items and not funding the IRS appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                              I blame Congress for adding to the IRS's workload with welfare items and not funding the IRS appropriately.
                              That is an understatement. Our great Congress is totally useless! It is a joke!

Comment

Working...
                              X