Potential Scam Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential Scam Warning

I received a call this morning. The women stated she was with my Internet carrier and that the software on my Internet modem needed to be upgraded. It would only take 5 to 10 minutes. Could she do that now? I was suspicious and asked a her a few questions. Whose name is the account in? She said my wife's name. That's not correct so I hung up and called my Internet provider and talked to tech support. They said they typically do automatic software upgrades at 2:00 a.m. so as not to bother anyone. He said she probably would have asked for my IP address and uploaded some spyware software. Just sharing this experience so none of us get bit.

It is an old scam. Crooks call to offer their free help to fix your internet connection, all you have to do is allow them to remotely log into your system! I have had 2 or 3 of my clients fall into this trap especially during the holidays when internet in our area tends to slow down during certain times. One poor lady had all her financial (including tax return copies) stolen and to add insult to injury the crooks locked up her system with a password!
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
    X