Tax ID Number for Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax ID Number for Trust

Not really sure how to research this question so I'm posting here... Client has an aunt that passed away in 2021. Aunt established a trust in 2015. However, client is unsure if a Federal Tax ID Number was secured at the time the trust was set up. No known third party has this number - banks, attorney, etc. Now that the aunt has passed away, the Tax ID Number is being requested by the banks, etc. The question is: Should efforts be taken to locate this tax ID number (if it even exists) or should client/trust simply apply for a new Tax ID Number? Not sure how to even find out if a number already exists since associated third parties don't seem to have it.

What kind of trust was set up ? If it was a revocable living trust (and she was the sole Grantor) it is likely that the aunt was simply using
    her social security number for tax reporting. Most such trusts do this. It is my understanding that at death of the last surviving Grantor though,
    a revocable trust becomes irrevocable and a Federal tax I.D. # must be obtained and used by the trust for tax reporting from that point on.

Comment

Working...
    X