Repayment of deferred social security tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repayment of deferred social security tax

EFTPS is the preferred way to repay 2020 deferred social security tax (for 1040 Schedule C SE tax). There is in fact an option to select "Deferred Social Security Tax" as the payment type however this step also requires that you enter the tax period as year AND month. As a calendar year filer, I thought maybe December would be appropriate but that selection returns "invalid tax period." Leaving the month blank also returns "invalid tax period." So how does one apply this payment correctly? Trying to contact EFTPS or IRS is futile.

The EFTPS system will accept months of Mar-Nov for 2020 for this purpose. I don't know if this is by design or a bug but I would recommend that folks wait for further guidance from the IRS.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rbynaker View Post
      The EFTPS system will accept months of Mar-Nov for 2020 for this purpose. I don't know if this is by design or a bug but I would recommend that folks wait for further guidance from the IRS.

Rick
      Right... Been waiting for IRS to discover this "bug." I think maybe the safest thing to do in the mean time is to mail a paper check and write in on the memo field "2020 deferred social security tax."

Comment

Originally posted by mwarney View Post

the safest thing to do in the mean time is to mail a paper chec

With as backed up and messed up as the IRS has been, I don't think mailing ANYTHING to the IRS is a "safe" thing to do. :-)

Comment

Working...
        X