Deferred SS Tax - Self-Employed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deferred SS Tax - Self-Employed

I was originally (mistakenly?) under the impression that the any deferred SS tax for the self-employed, taken on the 2020 return, would just be added 50% to 2021 tax liability and 50% to 2022 tax liability, just like any other tax liability for those years. That would have meant underpayment interest if the safe harbor rules weren't met, but no penalties for failure-to-pay. It appears from the recent IRS FAQs on this topic that failure-to-pay penalties will apply if 2021's 50% repayment isn't made (and separately identified) via an estimated tax payment by 12/31/2021. Is that the way the rest of you understand it as well? We need to make sure our self-employed's who deferred the tax in 2020 make an estimated tax payment, separately identifying it as a repayment of deferred SS tax, by 12/31/21?

As an aside, if my newfound understanding is correct, what a PITA that is! Couldn't Congress have gone one step further and made this process a whole lot easier, by allowing taxpayers to just pay with their 2021 returns?!?

Have you looked at the IRS link?

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I had not seen that one... only this: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/deferra...cember-31-2020. Those FAQs mix self-employed vs. employer deferred FICA deposits and it was hard to tell where a penalty may apply since they refer to it as a "failure to deposit" penalty. Your link makes it pretty clear that penalties will apply beyond 12/31. Thank you for verifying my newfound understanding. I'm going to have some annoyed clients.

Comment

Working...
      X