IRS Out of Control !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Out of Control !

I have several clients who owed money with their 2020 return and they have paid the balance due on time....But the IRS keeps sending threatening letters to the taxpayer to pay the balance. I have written letters attaching the backup of payment but no response from the IRS....And getting through on the phone is almost impossible these days. In addition several returns were filed with refunds and they have not been received and the IRS website just says (now for months) they are being processed !

So any ideas on how I get get these IRS tax notices corrected....Thanks Duane Anderson

As long as taxpayer has proof of payment on time, they don't have to sweat it until a levy notice shows up. Then they can get the levy removed and possibly get some damages if they want to go the extra effort.

In 2014 I had once client who got a levy notice but he had proof of payment. A call was made to our Senator's office and a staffer called back the next day that IRS would withdraw the notice.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

The MAJOR problem now is that the IRS is not concerned with all the problems that we tax return preparers are having with trying to help our clients who expect us to get the problem resolved. I and everyone else are spending so much extra time replying to notices, trying to call the IRS, which is useless now, and trying to get the 2848's posted to our CAF. The IRS assumes that their computer generated notices are correct. Here in Texas the returns were due June 15. Normally we would e-file the extensions. Not this year. The IRS wanted paper extensions. I did several, sent them by certified mail, and now clients are getting penalty notices for not filing the return on time.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Anderson View Post
        I have several clients who owed money with their 2020 return and they have paid the balance due on time....But the IRS keeps sending threatening letters to the taxpayer to pay the balance. I have written letters attaching the backup of payment but no response from the IRS....And getting through on the phone is almost impossible these days. In addition several returns were filed with refunds and they have not been received and the IRS website just says (now for months) they are being processed !

So any ideas on how I get get these IRS tax notices corrected....Thanks Duane Anderson
        I've been unsuccessful in trying to get a live IRS agent on the phone to resolve a Taxpayer Identity verification, so the 2020 Tax return can be processed, and any overpayments refunded. I've called 12 straight days and get same useless recording , after going thru prompts. "Try again later, or next business day"

Does anyone have a contact number they could provide? Thanks.

I'm located in PA , Client is deceased resident of FL . Total joke and waste of my time trying to speak with an IRS agent.

Comment

Try this number, 866-860-4259. I haven't used it for a while, but it should be better than the 1040 number

Comment

Electronic payment to IRS or paper check(s) with payment voucher(s)??

Comment

I've had good luck faxing to the IRS. Seems there are quite a few agents not going to offices which are creating a lot of issues. There should be a fax number listed on the notices.

Comment

Keep in mind that they are also very much behind with any mail. A paper return filed in April is still within the 4 -5 months processing time. Any additional mail send to the IRS for the same purpose is not helpful and might lead to confusion. It's bad but we have to deal with what is. Far too much non-tax related issues have been thrown at the IRS and I am actually amazed that not everything has collapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by terryats View Post
                  Try this number, 866-860-4259. I haven't used it for a while, but it should be better than the 1040 number
                  Thanks , but I get the same recorded message , stating, "they are extremely busy helping other taxpayers and to try again later or next business day"

Unacceptable! I am trying to resolve a IRS letter 4883c , for which it cannot be done on IRS website, must call.

I've been calling every day since 8/2/21 , often twice a day.

If anyone can suggest another route to take to remedy this situation, and verify an identity, as stated in letter 4883c, please forward. So friggin frustrating.

Comment

I suggest that you contact either your IRS Stakeholder Liaison or Taxpayer Advocate Services. One number I have for TAS is 877-777-4778
                    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
                      I suggest that you contact either your IRS Stakeholder Liaison or Taxpayer Advocate Services. One number I have for TAS is 877-777-4778
                      I did contact TAS and they forwarded me to Identity verification dept, for which I waited on hold another 45 minutes.

I spoke with a Agent who requested I fax her form 2848(had already faxed to IRS 2 weeks ago)directly to her fax line. Of course, her fax line was not functioning and after several attempts, call was ended, without any resolution to my client's problem.

I just can't make this #^&* up.

I'm not holding my breath IRS Agent will be calling me back today, to tell me her fax is working.

Comment

Working...
                      X