Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paper filed 2019 returned, time stamped, and returned to client. Reason, unsigned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper filed 2019 returned, time stamped, and returned to client. Reason, unsigned

New client, had 2019 self prepared mailed tax return returned by IRS, because he forgot to sign the return. The return needs to be amended, but since it was returned, is that the same as an efile reject, and considered unfiled. If so, I will be able to do return correctly, and efile. He did owe, but did not include payment with return. Thanks for any input.

If IRS outright rejected the return as being incomplete then it is just as good as unfiled return. If he owes a balance due, penalty and interest has started accruing.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Thanks Atsman, thats what I suspected, but nice for a senior member to agree. I was going to do it correctly, and efile, figuring the worst was it would get rejected, then I would correct and mail in.

Comment

Originally posted by terryats View Post
        New client, had 2019 self prepared mailed tax return returned by IRS, because he forgot to sign the return. The return needs to be amended, but since it was returned, is that the same as an efile reject, and considered unfiled. If so, I will be able to do return correctly, and efile. He did owe, but did not include payment with return. Thanks for any input.
        You did not say what the IRS letter said to do.

Plus your post is confusing when you say “….
        The return needs to be amended, but since it was returned,….? Need to be clear as to what you are saying needs to be done.
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 07-06-2021, 06:59 PM.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Thanks for replying TAXNG, sorry if I wasn't clear. New client did own taxes 2019, mailed in, but forgot to sign. IRS returned the unsigned return, and said to correct and return, and they also said return was considered unfiled until they received corrected copy. Client had made several errors, and the return needs correcting. Rather than amend I am just going to do them correctly, and Efile them.

Comment

Originally posted by terryats View Post
            Thanks for replying TAXNG, sorry if I wasn't clear. New client did own taxes 2019, mailed in, but forgot to sign. IRS returned the unsigned return, and said to correct and return, and they also said return was considered unfiled until they received corrected copy. Client had made several errors, and the return needs correcting. Rather than amend I am just going to do them correctly, and Efile them.
            Thanks for the clarification. Based on your comments it sounds like your action would be correct for your scenario.
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
            X