Paper return filed in March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper return filed in March

Due to a technical reason, my customer was not eligible for e-filing, so he filed by paper.
    I've watched the reports of IRS being tens of millions of paper returns behind & figured we might be lucky
    to get his late-March mailed return processed by sometime later this fall.
    The "WHERE'S MY REFUND" lookup tool has been zero help in tracking this case.
    This A.M. (7-4-21) the look-up tool abruptly acknowledged not only receiving the return, but at the same time
    indicated that a direct deposit refund had been processed two days earlier.
    These folks at IRS must be making some headway on the backlog.

I'm still looking for a federal retund (nearing 5-digits) for a client who filed electronically on March 31st.
    The Where's My Refund tool on the IRS web site shows. . ."being processed."
    (The state refund. . ."bless their hearts", , ,was received/deposited roughly two weeks after the same efiling.)

Comment

I have two electronically-filed returns with refunds of $2K pending -- still no action! One client with 2 children had another baby in 2020, so additional stimulus due for new child, plus CTC and small EITC. Other is also stimulus-related. Originally got a debit card for "around $35" based on 2019 income. "Can't remember" exact amount. Qualifies for full stimulus in 2020. Both filed in MARCH.

Comment

I have had several clients this year in the same situation. "Where's my refund" says "being processed" for months. The only thing that seems to work is going through the agony of calling the phone number found in the website. IF you a lucky enough to get through the person on the other end will say something to the effect that they aren't sure why, but they will give the system a "nudge". At least one person I know of used that approach successfully.
        In defense of the folks down at the IRS I would just say that given all the circumstances they have had to deal with this year, they have done an amazing job. Covid-19, a congress throwing curve balls mid season, Recovery Rebates etc., etc. I'm amazed the whole system hasn't imploded on itself! I notice they still manage to get out a few CP letters too!

Comment

Working...
        X