Filing with only an IRS Transcript?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing with only an IRS Transcript?

I have 29 year old client who has not filed returns going back 10 years. Don't ask!!

We have obtained the transcripts of forms received by the IRS for years 2011 to 2020, but obviously the client can't put his hands on the original copies of the various forms (W-2's, 1099-R's, 1098-T's and 1098-E's). I might be able to get all the forms for 2018, 2019 and 2020 and e-file those, but prior years I highly doubt. Any suggestions on what to submit for the years where I have the numbers to create the return, but not the actual forms? Do I simply add a copy of the IRS transcript to show the withheld amounts? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by rtsietsema View Post
    Any suggestions on what to submit for the years where I have the numbers to create the return, but not the actual forms? Do I simply add a copy of the IRS transcript to show the withheld amounts?
    That is what I would do.

If the taxpayer needs to file State returns, you probably need to ask the State for the withholding amounts too.

Comment

Will an unfiled 10-year old federal Form 1040 even be processed ??

Comment

Originally posted by rtsietsema View Post
        I have 29 year old client who has not filed returns going back 10 years. Don't ask!!

We have obtained the transcripts of forms received by the IRS for years 2011 to 2020, but obviously the client can't put his hands on the original copies of the various forms (W-2's, 1099-R's, 1098-T's and 1098-E's). I might be able to get all the forms for 2018, 2019 and 2020 and e-file those, but prior years I highly doubt. Any suggestions on what to submit for the years where I have the numbers to create the return, but not the actual forms? Do I simply add a copy of the IRS transcript to show the withheld amounts? Any suggestions are appreciated.
        Don't know if any SFRs were issued but IRS Policy Statement 5-133 suggests that for non-filers, 6 years of returns is the typical requirement.

I do agree with TGB about using the transcripts. I would also add Form 8275 to indicate what you are doing.

Comment

Working...
        X