2016 Return Not Processed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 Return Not Processed

Taxpayer postal mailed his 2016 return (Certified) on April 13, 2020 claiming a refund. The return has of yet not been processed, and whenever I speak with an IRS Rep (PPS) I'm told to be patient due to the backlog of processing paper returns. Obviously the TP is anxious due to IRC 6511. The question is, what would be the next step, and how long should we wait?

If the irs has acknowledged receipt and just hasn't processed it, there's nothing to be concerned about.

Late July 2020, a client mailed 2016 & 2017 1040x to the Fresno processing center. The 2016 return had been put on extension. Dec 2020 irs writes client denying 2016 amendment because it's past the deadline. May 12, 2021, client receives 2017 refund. Since your client mailed it 3 months prior to mine, you'd think it would have been processed by now, but irs processing doesn't seem to be a rational process at this point and which processing center it's at makes a difference.
    "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's input. And I agree, TP was late filing, but to his defense, he lost his wife of 40+ years in late 2019 after a lengthy and debilitating cancer, so he's been somewhat distracted.

Comment

I have 2 of these 2016 returns still unprocessed and were within the statue. However another one did process out but instead of c/o the refund to 2017 which tp was banking on makes his 2017 as file short. WE can only wait.

Comment

Working...
        X