Child under 16 can't efile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child under 16 can't efile?

I'm having trouble e-filing a child's return. She is 11 years old and never filed a return before. She did a one time stand-in modeling gig and received a 1099 for $1,800. Does this return need to be paper filed or what?
    Last edited by BOB W; 05-17-2021, 01:43 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Maybe your software doesn't allow The IRS does. From IRS. "Primary taxpayers under age 16 who have never filed an individual return and secondary taxpayers under age 16 who didn't file for 2019 are ineligible to use the SSP method to sign the electronic return using tax preparation software. These individuals may still e-file by using a paid preparer who uses the Practitioner PIN method. There are no age restrictions when using the Practitioner PIN method"
    Here is link: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc255

Comment

I've e-filed clients as young as 7 and my own grandchildren as young as 2. Check with your software support.

Comment

Thanks all.... I found out how to set up Practitioner Pin Method............. thanks again..........

First time for every thing
        Last edited by BOB W; 05-17-2021, 03:39 PM.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thanks for the additional info. In Ultra Tax I had to go into settings and check a box to allow Practitioner Pin method.
          Last edited by BOB W; 05-19-2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Hmm? That's all I ever use.

Comment

What does that mean? No 8879? Or what?

Comment

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc255

Practitioner PIN -
                The Practitioner PIN method is another signature option in which you authorize your tax practitioner to enter or generate your PIN. This method doesn't require you to provide your prior year AGI, date of birth, or SSP for authentication. Instead, the preparer verifies your identity and you give the tax professional a signed authorization form, Form 8879, IRS e-file Signature Authorization. Similar to the SSP, you can use any five digits (except for all zeros) when selecting your PIN and you must provide the tax professional the signed authorization form.

Comment

Working...
                X