2019 Tax Year Refund Still Not Received

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Tax Year Refund Still Not Received

Today I prepared the 2020 tax return of a client and as soon as he walked in my office he said I got all my stimulus checks BUT I still have not received my original 2019 Federal refund of $6620. So I check where is my refund on irs.gov and sure enough it still says it is processing?? Is it time to contact TA?

So the 2020 return has a $870 balance due because taxes were not withheld on the unemployment compensation. Taxpayer wants to apply a portion of the refund that IRS owes him to his balance due. I don't think that is possible at this stage?? He is waiting for my answer before he mails out the check tomorrow.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

If you're talking about his 2019 refund being applied to 2020, you would've set that up prior to e-filing 2019. Tell him he's in line with 29 million other unprocessed tax returns.

Comment

The good news is that should generate a nice chunk of interest (if it ever finally gets paid).

Comment

That is exactly I told them. They will get interest but it is a crying shame that 2019 refunds are still pending while 2020 refunds are being processed. Unfortunately for this taxpayer he has a balance due because of under withholding and in 2019 he received an inheritance on which we thought taxes would be due so I had him pay estimated tax, and there was over withholding. What an irony!
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
        X