NY Nonresident owners of Real Estate or Coop owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY Nonresident owners of Real Estate or Coop owners

NYS DTF just announced today a new policy of nonresident owners of NY real estate or coops, that when
    they sell their real estate, they must file a new form and pay estimate taxes -
    Updated 2021 Forms IT-2663, Nonresident Real Property Estimated Income Tax Payment Form and IT-2664, Nonresident Cooperative Unit Estimated Income Tax Payment Form
    The Department of Taxation and Finance has posted updated 2021 Forms IT-2663 and IT-2664. These forms are filed by nonresidents of New York State to pay estimated personal income tax on the sale or transfer of real property or a cooperative unit located in New York State during 2021 which is calculated using the highest New York State personal income tax rate.

The 2021-2022 New York State budget was signed into law on April 19, 2021, and increased the highest New York State personal income tax rate to 10.90% for the 2021 tax year. The 2021 Forms IT-2663 and IT-2664 have been updated to account for this change.

To view the updated forms, visit:
    • Form IT-2663, Nonresident Real Property Estimated Income Tax Payment Form
    • Form IT-2664, Nonresident Cooperative Unit Estimated Income Tax Payment Form
    Last edited by Uncle Sam; 05-14-2021, 08:13 PM.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Your link is not helpful, it just takes me to an AOL mail login screen. https //mail dot aol dot com/webmail-std/en-us/suite

Is there a difference between "paying estimated taxes" and "withholding"? Is it mandatory, or if not, what is the penalty for not doing it?

I ask because a number of states, including California, already have mandatory withholding on real estate sales (regardless of residency status), requiring a form to be filed if one wants to claim an exception or a non-default calculation of the tax. I'd be surprised if NY hasn't already been doing something like this for a long time.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

It is my understanding that NYS requires withholding at the highest tax rate and there is a separate form for RE sales.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Yes, NY increased its highest rate and updated the forms to use the new rate.

Comment

Working...
        X