What is Going on with BitCoin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Going on with BitCoin?

Why does the IRS need to know if you HAVE BitCoin? If it is treated as property, there should be no tax until BitCoin is sold.

We can buy 100 shares of Ford Motor Company, General Mills, or 50 acres of land, and we don't have to report it to the IRS until we SELL it.

What is the difference with BitCoin? I didn't have any customers tell me they had any when I asked them.

It is just the tip of the iceberg!

IRS is ‘setting the trap’ for bitcoin and virtual currency investors on 2020 tax form

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...y-transactions
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
      Why does the IRS need to know if you HAVE BitCoin?
      We can buy 100 shares of Ford Motor Company, General Mills, or 50 acres of land, and we don't have to report it to the IRS until we SELL it.
      They don't need to know if you are simply holding it, and they have said so in their FAQ. What they need to know is if you acquired it in a taxable transaction. It has been recently documented in this forum the many ways that crypto can be acquired other than buying it.

Or, to put it more simply, what if your employer compensates you with 100 shares of Ford or General Mills? Do you agree that needs to be reported to the IRS before you sell it?

From the article linked by ATSMAN:

"“If you acquire the virtual currency and haven’t spent it or exchanged it out for other currency, you don’t have a triggering event for tax purposes,” Losi said. “It’s an unrealized gain.”"

That is a false statement, for obvious reasons.

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I'm no economist, but think we'll probably will see more regulation of blockchain in the future.
        Governments around the world rule, to a large extent, through their banking systems and sovereign currencies.
        The relative anonymity of blockchain might prove problematic for government rule as we know it.
        They are not likely to cede this authority willingly.

Comment

Latest news today:

U.S. Treasury calls for stricter cryptocurrency compliance with IRS, says they pose tax evasion risk
          https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/20/us-t...-with-irs.html

It is just a proposal for now, part of a much broader plan to increase both voluntary compliance and enforcement to cut down on the tax gap.

Another very recent article on crypto and the IRS from the Wall Street Journal (non-paywall version)

Last edited by Rapid Robert; 05-20-2021, 03:32 PM.
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
          X