Unprocessed amended return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unprocessed amended return

I have a client who mailed in a 2018 amended 1040 in June of 2020. Bad timing, I know! I have checked for the client using the IRS "Where's my amended return". The system sees it, and says it was received on 9/30/2020, but it has not been processed. Furthermore, it has a big red exclamation mark advising, also in red, "Take Action". They do apologize and provide a phone number with extension to call within given hours. Repeated calls always end with, "Due to systems demands., etc...... Please call back later or on another day."

Anyone with experience here? Will they eventually process the return, without the client calling in? Is there some other why to tell them, "Yes, please process the return. That's why we mailed it to you!", or must the client make the call?

Thanks for any ideas.

People usually get their refunds within three weeks, but this year is proving complicated for nearly 30 million filers.

This CBS news video kind of explains it all...

Comment

I have one from 2017 that is hung up as well.

If the amended return is a refund:
      1. Change your withholding for 2021 such that you will not have a refund for 2021.
      2. Treat the refund as if it applies to 2021 estimated tax and take credit for it.
      3. If they issue the refund in the interim, don't cash it. Just sit on it like they do.
      4. Wait for the IRS to sort it out and answer the ugly letters.

Comment

Working...
      X