Donations received = taxable income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donations received = taxable income?

I have an individual client who received donations (over $15,000) from random people, based upon a 1-time political slogan. After she received the money, she donated it all to a 501C-charity. I'm really perplexed on this...

Taxable or non-taxable income?
    Charitable deduction?

I would think it follows the Go Fund Me logic. The donations received are gifts BUT if she does not have any taxable income it does not generate any deduction for the gifts given to the charity.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
      if she does not have any taxable income [from the received funds] it does not generate any deduction for the gifts given to the charity.
      There's not enough information to determine whether the income was a gift (what is a "1-time political slogan"???), but as long as she has enough AGI on her tax return, she is entitled to charitable contribution deductions regardless of the source of funds.

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

What did she do to receive the money? Write a slogan for a politician? For a percentage of his campaign contributions? Why did random people send her money?

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
          There's not enough information to determine whether the income was a gift (what is a "1-time political slogan"???), but as long as she has enough AGI on her tax return, she is entitled to charitable contribution deductions regardless of the source of funds.
          Yes, more detailed info is needed. That was a general comment based on what OP had posted.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            What did she do to receive the money? Write a slogan for a politician? For a percentage of his campaign contributions? Why did random people send her money?
            The reason I'm being vague, is if I specifically post the slogan and what happened, someone could easily google it.

She posted a political/social justice slogan at her house, the picture went viral on social media and people sent her donations as a thank you. She is NOT a politician and the money did not come from, nor go to campaign contributions.

Comment

Working...
            X