1031 exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1031 exchange

Client owns business property that he's planning to sell and wants to do a like kind exchange. He has already identified the replace t property. He will use a QI.

Closing on the replacement property will be before the closing of the selling property.

I believe it's called a reverse exchange. Any pointers to share?

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by mhcpa1964; 05-02-2021, 08:08 AM.

I have never done where the replacement property was closed before the sale of the 1031 property. There is the 45 and 180 day rule. But I think in a reverse situation it probably will hold true also. Check the regs, I am just going off the top of my head.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Yes those parameters still hold true. The Taxbook is really helpful.

I see a potential disadvantage that regards depreciation. The replacement takes a carry over basis in the property sold, which at 12/31/20 was $30,295. I'll check with the client for details about the replacement property, but in running some assumptions I can see he's going to lose 9 years of depreciation and at least $700 per year of depreciation. (It's not much and I'll fine tune the depr amount once I know more.)

If he makes the 1031 election now can it be revoked later if we find it's not financially worth it?

Comment

It is sort of not completing the 1031 exchange due to some technicality. As long as the tax due is paid (with interest if applicable) I think it should be ok. I never encountered such a situation in real life. The few 1031 exchanges I was involved in were straight up and were completed as planned.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Thank you Atsman. It's my first. I, and the client, like to plan ahead as much as possible. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Comment

Working...
          X