couple (divorced) in 2020 and rrc spltting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple (divorced) in 2020 and rrc spltting

If couple was divorced during the eip payments and the husband ssn was primary on the 2020 return, how do you handle the reporting on each return.

1/2 on each return. My clients that have opened IRS accounts and looked in them have seen that the IRS attributed half to the taxpayer and half to the spouse.

Comment

For most reasonable people with an ounce of commonsense this is not an issue when they are splitting. But I have had one "jerk" that refuses to give his ex-wife the $1400 because she supposedly owes him money and this has escalated to a point where her lawyer had to get involved. The fellow withdrew the money the moment bank posted in the account. I must have spent over 2 hours on this case talking to the parties.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Most tax programs allow two banks to be entered for splitting where refunds can be deposited. If you didn't offer that choice you should of.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
          Most tax programs allow two banks to be entered for splitting where refunds can be deposited. If you didn't offer that choice you should of.
          Correct BUT this assumes that when I prepared the 2019 tax return I was either aware or they told me that they were splitting and wanted it done that way, right??
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post

Correct BUT this assumes that when I prepared the 2019 tax return I was either aware or they told me that they were splitting and wanted it done that way, right??
            I'm sorry for jumping to a conclusion, "after the fact" is always clear......
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by taxitc View Post
              If couple was divorced during the eip payments and the husband ssn was primary on the 2020 return, .
              I don't understand. If they were divorced in 2020, then wouldn't each ex-spouse by definition be the "primary" on their own 2020 return?

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
              X