Changing from Partnership to Single member LLC when they are married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing from Partnership to Single member LLC when they are married

I have a new client that has an LLC Partnership but my understanding was he was the sole owner. I just realized it is actually a partnership by the letter the IRS sent him to file a form 1065. The due date is passed to file partnership and he wants to file it as a single member which is a schedule C. Must we file the form 8832 to change it to a single member with the IRS or can we just go ahead and file the schedule C since this is their first filing and Texas is a Community Property state.

Secondly, a client's AGI last year was $25k Plus, married with 2 children. She is a W2 worker earning about $62k and the husband made a loss of $44k plus in business income last year and this gave them the maximum EIC. I did not file that return. This year being my first year to file their taxes, the Tax payer earned about the same income of $62k, the husband made about $20k plus in business losses and had an AGI of $51k. Because they got the maximum earned income credit last year, the wife is expecting to get the maximum with an AGI of $51k so close to the EIC limits of $53k with 2 children. Does anyone have another explanation for this situation.

If the irs letter was a response to filing a SS-4, it isn't relevant.

"Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Originally posted by Boma Osime View Post
      I have a new client that has an LLC Partnership but my understanding was he was the sole owner. I just realized it is actually a partnership by the letter the IRS sent him to file a form 1065. The due date is passed to file partnership and he wants to file it as a single member which is a schedule C. Must we file the form 8832 to change it to a single member with the IRS or can we just go ahead and file the schedule C since this is their first filing and Texas is a Community Property state.

Secondly, a client's AGI last year was $25k Plus, married with 2 children. She is a W2 worker earning about $62k and the husband made a loss of $44k plus in business income last year and this gave them the maximum EIC. I did not file that return. This year being my first year to file their taxes, the Tax payer earned about the same income of $62k, the husband made about $20k plus in business losses and had an AGI of $51k. Because they got the maximum earned income credit last year, the wife is expecting to get the maximum with an AGI of $51k so close to the EIC limits of $53k with 2 children. Does anyone have another explanation for this situation.
      Show the spouse the EIC tables....

Chris

Comment

If the irs letter was a response to filing a SS-4, it isn't relevant.

Thank you for the above response. To be clear, does it mean that we can file the client's first return as a single member sole proprietorship business SCH C with out filing the form 8832 to the IRS to change the filing status?

Comment

Chris, the Table shows the maximum for Married filing jointly with 2 children and an AGI income of $53,330 is $5920. Their AGI currently is $51k plus. And they are getting about $350 in EIC they are asking why?

Comment

Chris, the Table shows the maximum for Married filing jointly with 2 children and an AGI income of $53,330 is $5920. Their AGI currently is $51k plus. And they are getting about $350 in EIC they are asking why?
            TTB page 2-22. Maximum EIC for MFJ ends at 25250

Comment

I'm not following your original post. I think the numbers are:

$ 62K W2
              $-44K business loss
              --------
              $ 18K AGI which would give them an EIC of $5828, the maximum amount for MFJ w/ 2 kids.

$ 62K W2
              $-20K business loss
              --------
              $ 42K AGI

You state their AGI is $51K and the EIC is around $350. At $51,700, the EIC is $349, so I'm guessing the $42K figure isn't correct.

Last year they were given a welfare payment of $5828. This year their income went up, thus they were only eligible for a welfare payment of $349. As Chris said, show them the EIC tables.

If the man is a sole proprietor and is operating a SMLLC and erroneously checked partnership on the SS-4, then no, he doesn't need to file a 8832. If he gets a letter asking for a 1065, write back stating the partnership box was checked by mistake.

"Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Okay, thank you all so much, I appreciate your help. Will continue to educate them.

Comment

How many years has he had large losses? Might be time to educate him re profit motive.

Comment

Working on that with him right now. This is my first year with this client.

Comment

Working on that with him right now. This is my first year with this client.
                      Texas is a community property state - thus Rev Proc 2002-69 can apply and your worries about the Form 1065 might go away. Review the procedure and you may be able to treat the H/W LLC as a disregarded entity and solve your 1065 IRS inquiry. Always difficult to answer without all facts.

Comment

Working...
                      X