Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra stimulus filing married filing separate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra stimulus filing married filing separate.

Ok married filing joint return in 2019. married couple 3 kids all under 17. The get all the stimulus. 2020 file them separate and load one spouse with all three kids she would end up with $1700 additional stimulus according to the worksheet. I filed a few like this but most of them didn't get any or very little stimulus from 2019 filing because of income, but as 2020 separate were able to recoup some. Why do I have a problem with the taxpayer getting more.
    Last edited by Bucky; 04-20-2021, 01:40 PM.

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
    Why do I have a problem with the taxpayer getting more.
    I give up. Why?

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I don't know but it bugs the heck out of me. I'll get over it lol.

Comment

If they received $0 EIP1 & EIP2 as MFJ, then one spouse under $75,000 should get his/her RRC1 $1,200 + RRC2 $600; if 3 children, add $1,100 for each child. $5,100. If the couple received partial EIP1 &/or EIP2, then obviously, he/she will get less RRC1 & RRC 2 as MFS. If the MFS spouse is in the phaseout zone, he/she will get less. Run the numbers. Look at the worksheet. Do you have a specific question? YMMV in a community property state. Don't forget the MFS spouse with 3 kids will also get EIP3 $5,600.
        Last edited by Lion; 04-20-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

No i know how it works. Excuse me, i was just having a lapse of "this shouldn't be" but I over it now.

Comment

We've all been working under changing laws since last March and think ourselves in circles. I thought you meant you were having a problem getting your clients more, such as a technical problem. As long as you're advocating for your clients, having them pay the least legal tax liability, you're fine. MFS is just one tool available to us.

Comment

Working...
            X