Massachusetts work, NY corp, NJ residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massachusetts work, NY corp, NJ residency

My client lives in NJ and works for a NY Corp in construction.
    They had him working in Massachusetts all year and provided him an extra payment each month for him to get an apartment.
    He was there M-F and home on weekends. Most weekends.

He grossed 178k - $900 held for NY - but nothing for NJ. In NJ, I did COJ for both states --- but - MA.... Ummm...
    Would his status be non-resident or part-year resident? Or Resident??
    It appears RESIDENT based on my reading (183+ days in-state + income earned in-state). That truly stinks.
    Is there anything else we can / should do??? Am I in left field looking for a ball that's in right field? or worse?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by MAJ; 04-15-2021, 03:25 PM.
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Originally posted by MAJ View Post
    My client lives in NJ and works for a NY Corp in construction.
    They had him working in Massachusetts all year and provided him an extra payment each month for him to get an apartment.
    He was there M-F and home on weekends. Most weekends.

He grossed 178k - $900 held for NY - but nothing for NJ. In NJ, I did COJ for both states --- but - MA.... Ummm...
    Would his status be non-resident or part-year resident? Or Resident??
    It appears RESIDENT based on my reading (183+ days in-state + income earned in-state). That truly stinks.
    Is there anything else we can / should do??? Am I in left field looking for a ball that's in right field? or worse?

Thanks in advance.
    Not sure how MA operates but the 183 day rule usually requires a permanent place of abode as the second condition for residency. Opinion - no knowledge of how MA works but I would file a non-resident return for MA. Facts and circumstances control. Take an opinion FWIW.

Comment

He has a MA apartment.

Comment

You can start here to see if it helps your scenario:

Your legal and residency status in Massachusetts affects how you file your taxes. Find out what you should file and how to report your income.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
          You can start here to see if it helps your scenario:

https://www.mass.gov/service-details...-massachusetts
          Thanks.. Your page confirms what I read in the full manual. That's why I was leaning towards RESIDENT:
          Legal residence is not in Massachusetts for entire year but you maintain a permanent place of abode in Massachusetts and spend more than 183 days of the taxable year in total in Massachusetts Form 1
          BUMMER for him. Owes in 3 states and the Feds. He'll be thrilled. He'll have 5 months of this year there as well and THEN he can be a part-year resident. Joyous events!
          Matthew Jones
          Tax Preparation
          Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
          Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

I have a union steel worker who lives in MA with his family, has a primary residence here. He gets sent to NY, CT, RI on construction jobs and sometimes spends months in one state on a construction project. The employer usually provides for housing at the location either in a motel or apartment and shared with room mates (other workers on the job). The first year I prepared his tax return we did a conference call with the union's business agent and it was decided that we will file him as resident of MA and non resident of the other 3 states because his tax domicile is MA. His union contract and his pension is handled by the MA local union. So far NY,CT,RI has not challenged that position. I think other unions also operate in a similar manner.

So I think you will need to find out what i his tax domicile and which local union has his contract. More than likely NJ
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Update: Final status

Resident of NJ: Home state. Where he lives and his wife/children live. Paid from NYsource construction company.
              COJ paid to MA and NY helped to reduce NJ tax.

Non-Resident of NY: Paid from NY and did a small bit of work in NY during 2020. Majority of work was in Mass. Zero work in NJ.

Resident of MA: Has an apartment but goes home to NJ domicile. Paid from MA source. spent 183+ days in MA.
              MA also has COJ - So credits for taxes PAID in NJ and NY reduced his MA taxes to near zero.

Thanks.
              Matthew Jones
              Tax Preparation
              Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!

Comment

MA has a flat tax and they apply almost the same rules to PY and non-resident as long as MA sourced income is taxed in MA. For the credits they ratio it.
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
                X