Predecessor to 8879

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predecessor to 8879

IRS at one time had a transmittal form in the earlier days of electronic filing which was a predecessor to Form 8879. It may have disappeared from use...

Anyone familiar with it??

Form 8453 is still with us: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf

Comment

Wasn't this form 8453 ? We still have the form but seems to me this was the signature form that we were required to send to IRS after getting the e-file acknowledgement confirmation, back in the 1990's.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
        Form 8453 is still with us: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf
        Anyone used this form lately? I don't recalling using that form, but then I was late to the dance party!
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

8453 is still in use - thank you. It is used as a transmittal for certain kind of documents. I am using it to transmit a document containing hundreds of transactions which would have been reported on 8949.

Comment

Little bit of History:

1986: Initial filing season pilot with 5 tax preparers in 3 cities; 25,000 returns filed. The program could only accept simple returns that were due a refund.

2002: IRS allows taxpayers to sign e-file returns using a Personal Identification Number (PIN) which made the e-file process entirely paperless.

2009: Congress passes a provision requiring tax preparers who file more than 10 individual tax returns to file electronically; IRS phases in the requirement, setting the threshold at 100 or more for 2011 and 11 or more for 2012.

I believe I first started e-filing 1999/2000 on a very limited basis. I had to wait till my street was wired for DSL.

Now I absolutely hate paper filing. Had to do a few 709s this year and what a pain!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
              8453 is still in use - thank you. It is used as a transmittal for certain kind of documents. I am using it to transmit a document containing hundreds of transactions which would have been reported on 8949.
              Right. It is not a "predecessor" to Form 8949. Schedule D-1 was the predecessor to Form 8949.

It's much easier to simply attach a PDF to the efiled tax return than to physically mail a paper doc. Before PDF attachments were allowed, I remember filing form 8453 with hundreds of pages, not transactions.
              "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Every once in a while I'm forced to paper file and looking back that's when I needed paid help to file my 500 tax returns, If I was still doing 500 return today I could now do it by myself. And the paper usage was multiple cases of paper, at least 4 times what I'm using now & toner (wow). Of course there is a trade off in fees paid to tax program but nothing compared to the cost of of a part time worker. I've always had a duplex printer and if anyone out there doesn't print in duplex, you don't know what you are missing.

Unless you have a VERY small practice, a duplexing laser jet printer is best over an Ink jet printer. the investment in a good Duplexing Laser Jet will save on toner compared to Single page Ink Jet printers. I found on the internet VERY low cost laser cartridges that have worked just fine.
                Last edited by BOB W; 04-11-2021, 11:41 AM.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Unless you have a VERY small practice, a duplexing laser jet printer is best over an Ink jet printer. the investment in a good Duplexing Laser Jet will save on toner compared to Single page Ink Jet printers. I found on the internet VERY low cost laser cartridges that have worked just fine.
                  Duplex printing has its advantages (I have 2 Duplex Printers) BUT I do not print the client hard copy of the tax return Duplex. They all complained that if they have to make a ccopy or fax it is a royal pain and I agree with them. I would not want a duplex printed page that I have to fax. I will gladly pay the extra cost of the paper to print tax return copies Sinplex!

I stopped using inkjet printers 10 or 12 years back.

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post

Duplex printing has its advantages (I have 2 Duplex Printers) BUT I do not print the client hard copy of the tax return Duplex. They all complained that if they have to make a ccopy or fax it is a royal pain and I agree with them. I would not want a duplex printed page that I have to fax. I will gladly pay the extra cost of the paper to print tax return copies Sinplex!

I stopped using inkjet printers 10 or 12 years back.
                    You make a good point about clients needing a single sided tax return. If anybody wants a single sided return I'll be glad to print one, but as a routine printing it is double sided. I've had more than usual need to mail tax returns back to clients because of covid. All these mail backs were not part of my fee structure. Some were $8 to $12 each. In the envelope was their info as well as my duplexed tax return, too expensive when multiplied by even 100 returns, it would be more printing on single side.

Added: what copies do you print double sided?
                    Just so you know, I keep NO hard copies of tax returns.
                    Last edited by BOB W; 04-11-2021, 01:19 PM.
                    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

This tax season due to Covid my mailing costs skyrocketed. But I had anticipated that since last year so I started using www.sendle.com with their small business account (min 20 mailings per month) and get a discounted rate. I send my large envelopes for $3.45 flat rate as long as they are under half a pound. They can be tracked and they actually partner with USPS in most locations for the last mile delivery.

Before I was using Priority Mail 2nd or 3rd day delivery flat rate for $7.65

Comment

Working...
                      X