Identity Verification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity Verification

Low income taxpayer receives correspondence from Uncle Sam requesting Identity verification. Return will not be processed until identity is verified. She tried calling several times and they kept hanging up on her. A few times she was on hold for more than an hour. Even if she choose to authorize someone to represent her, they will still have to call.
    Any suggestion that will help to resolve this issue?
    Thanks
    Brian
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

File a paper return.................
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Return was already filed electronically
      Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Oookkkaaayyy
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
          Oookkkaaayyy
          This reply doesn't convey much information. Does it mean you missed the part about return already efiled, or does it mean you were suggesting they file a paper version of the same retun they already filed? Would that somehow eliminate the identification requirement?

To the OP:

Use the identity verification (ID Verify) service if you received an IRS 5071C letter, 5747C letter or 5447C letter.

Why not use the online service? Otherwise, taxpayer will need to try calling at different times, such as first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Maybe things will improve a little after 4/15.

Taxpayer may also want to contact their representatives in Congress regarding restoration of funding to IRS to provide better customer service.
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
            Oookkkaaayyy
            I agree sounds like the return filed was rejected because of the IP Pin? Therefore not accepted. Was this the case?

"Taxpayer may also want to contact their representatives in Congress regarding restoration of funding to IRS to provide better customer service."

IRS needs to start increasing their audit rate and they can fund themselves. Pickings of bad returns are easy : "if you can throw an office party you can do taxes" where did I hear that?
            Last edited by Dude; 04-08-2021, 10:57 AM.
            "Dude, you are correct" Rapid Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
              This reply doesn't convey much information. Does it mean you missed the part about return already efiled, or does it mean you were suggesting they file a paper version of the same retun they already filed? Would that somehow eliminate the identification requirement?

To the OP:

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-f...ter-recipients

Why not use the online service? Otherwise, taxpayer will need to try calling at different times, such as first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Maybe things will improve a little after 4/15.

Taxpayer may also want to contact their representatives in Congress regarding restoration of funding to IRS to provide better customer service.
              POST 1 said nothing about ALREADY FILED. Post 1 talked about having trouble filing EFILE. Post 2 Just said to file a paper return. POST 3 Now said Already efiled.
              So my post was in shock as to why POST 1 was even posted in the first place...

RR (Sheriff) did you miss the order of the posts?
              Last edited by BOB W; 04-08-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post

I agree sounds like the return filed was rejected because of the IP Pin? Therefore not accepted. Was this the case?

"Taxpayer may also want to contact their representatives in Congress regarding restoration of funding to IRS to provide better customer service."

IRS needs to start increasing their audit rate and they can fund themselves. Pickings of bad returns are easy : "if you can throw an office party you can do taxes" where did I hear that?
                Return was electronically filed and accepted.

Comment

What was the reason for the original post?

Comment

The IRS needs to verify her identity. Apparently, they suspected it was a fraudulent tax return.

Comment

The correspondence she received from the IRS requesting identity verification should have laid out what she needed to send them, and I am betting it can't be done over the phone. It probably requires some types of documents that she needs to mail in. Have you seen a copy of this letter? What exactly does it say?

Comment

Got one of those in November. Went on line to do. Got through all the hoops until they tried to send a code to his cell phone. Said cell phone was not his, would send paper document. Have yet to see that paper. He has had same cell phone and service last 10 years. Return has a credit I need to do his 2020 return. Any ideas how to fix?

Comment

Working...
                        X