New York Unemployment Compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Unemployment Compensation

Does anyone know if New York state is allowing the deduction for Unemployment Compensation
    Thanks
    Brian
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

It's an add back for NYS. MY program, Ultra Tax, just release it's update today. Been keeping me busy all day getting my back log filed.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Bob, I used Drake Software and it allows the deduction. I did this after I posted this thread
      Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Originally posted by Brian EA View Post
        Bob, I used Drake Software and it allows the deduction. I did this after I posted this thread
        Brian - look more carefully - Drake adds back the federal exclusion on IT-558 and you can see the result in the “recalculated” federal AGI. Drake is NOT allowing the exclusion on the NY return.

Comment

Yes it was confusing in the beginning but when I looked at IT-558 there it was, all by itself.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

NY voted on marijuana, not unemployment
            Last edited by Lion; 04-03-2021, 04:03 PM.

Comment

It is a bit confusing. The bill was introduced separately and then they tried to add it as an amendment to the budget bill which was voted down.

I have no idea if they plan to vote on it separately at some point but it does not look good.
              Doug

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post

Brian - look more carefully - Drake adds back the federal exclusion on IT-558 and you can see the result in the “recalculated” federal AGI. Drake is NOT allowing the exclusion on the NY return.
                You are absolutely correct. NY did add it back on the IT-588. The exclusion from the Federal return increased the NY Income percentage thus reducing NY tax liability. The difference is $18. It costs more to amend the return.; so I will let the client pay the additional $18. No need to touch that state return.

Comment

There are two or three NY bills that might address unemployment, but they're all sitting in committee. I have three trusts and some ES calculations with 15 April due dates, but then I think I'll stop holding returns with NY unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                    There are two or three NY bills that might address unemployment, but they're all sitting in committee. I have three trusts and some ES calculations with 15 April due dates, but then I think I'll stop holding returns with NY unemployment.
                    Are you saying NY may change its mind again and allow UI exemption? My understanding is that they already decided to add UI to NY state income on form IT558. I just submitted 3 NY returns with UI added back?
                    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I have now submitted 35 of my 55 NYS UI returns and still processing....

If passed, let NYS self process the refunds like IRS is doing.

Comment

The bills have been in committee since the IRS change. I don't know how fast the NY legislature moves; maybe you can tell me. I have some April returns to do but then am getting my NYers off my desk.

Comment

I haven't heard anything about NYS change of heart, I doubt any change is going to happen.

Comment

I am starting to e-file returns with UI and PTC repayment this weekend. I just can't sit on them any longer. My pile is a mile high! I agree with Bob if these non conforming states have a change of heart due to voter protests let the state DOR correct the returns and issue refunds. Voters should hold the lazy legislators feet to the fire IMHO!
                            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                              if these non conforming states have a change of heart due to voter protests let the state DOR correct the returns and issue refunds. Voters should hold the lazy legislators feet to the fire IMHO!
                              Why should the sovereign states care whether or not the federal government conforms to their tax laws?
                              "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X