$300 Charitable AGI Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$300 Charitable AGI Adjustment

I had understood that a return could have a $300 charitable AGI adjustment and also itemize their
    charitable contributions - just not using the same money for both.
    My software's update today tells me I can't use both.
    If this is true, wouldn't it put a taxpayer that itemizes having only $300 in charitable at a
    disadvantage to the same $300 non-itemizer due to to the AGI difference ?
    Thanks for comments.

The CARES Act was quite clear on this one. IRC 62(f)(1): "The term ‘eligible individual' means any individual who does not elect to itemize deductions."

Comment

If you do NOT itemize, you can take as much as $300 in "cash" donations as an adjustment. If you DO itemize, you take ALL your donations, including non-cash, on Schedule A. And, as rbynaker says, it is an election, so run the numbers to do the best for your clients.

Comment

When I read your replies to my post, I thought you two must have missed my point.
        Turns out it was me that was missing the point.
        Thanks for your replies.

Comment

And, to keep us on our toes, 2021 is $300 per person, so $600 MFJ. Unless it's "clarified" again!

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            And, to keep us on our toes, 2021 is $300 per person, so $600 MFJ. Unless it's "clarified" again!
            One other thing to keep you on your toes - in 2020, the $300 deduction is above-the-line. In 2021, the $300($600) is below-the-line

Comment

Working...
            X