Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Residual insurance payments to deceased insurance agent .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residual insurance payments to deceased insurance agent .

Should this be exempt from social security tax?

If he was alive it would go on a schedule C.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

He died over 4 years ago.

Comment

the 1099 was made out to his wife. Died over 4 year go.

Comment

Let her claim it income subject to SS. Is it a 1099NEC? If not, straight income no SS.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

When I was in my mid 20s a neighbor was a Life Insurance agent with MetLife. After he died his wife got his residual commissions for a while. I don't recall any 1099-Misc or W2 at that time just a check for a few thousand dollars made to her. If I recall I just put that as other income. I do remember speaking with the manager of the office and she told me that the old agent's contract had a clause that as long as the policy was in effect she would continue to get those residual commissions.

If you think about it it can't be self employed income because she was not self employed. It can't be W2 income either because her husband was dead. It could have been income to the estate but then it should have been paid as such.

In this case how much money are we talking about? Generally those residual commissions checks are less than $600 for the year that I seem to recall.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Commissions paid to a retired insurance salesperson that are reported on 1099NEC (formerly MISC) are subject to self-employment taxes. See exception outlined on pages 25 and 26 of PUB 334 if certain conditions are met. Also, such payments to a surviving spouse are NOT treated as subject to self-employment tax and are not reported on Sche C.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                If he was alive it would go on a schedule C.
                He died over 4 yrs. ago. Wife never had any involvement in his insurance business. Tax book 5-3 has
                comment on self employed insurance agents. It is on a 1099-NEC Nonemployee compensation, (Her SS#) ??

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                  Commissions paid to a retired insurance salesperson that are reported on 1099NEC (formerly MISC) are subject to self-employment taxes. See exception outlined on pages 25 and 26 of PUB 334 if certain conditions are met. Also, such payments to a surviving spouse are NOT treated as subject to self-employment tax and are not reported on Sche C.
                  Thanks I will check out. Maybe they didn't know what form to use?

Comment

Originally posted by taxitc View Post

Very common. It was often reported incorrectly on 1099MISC as well. Report as other income for spouse, no SE. They obviously knew he died as they had her SSN. She can contact them to correct if you wish, as it will continue unless it is changed on their end.

Comment

Definitely not SE.

ยง1402(k)

She not being an insurance agent also makes it not SE income.
                      "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Originally posted by taxitc View Post

Pub 334 page 26 "Renewal commissions paid to the survivor of an insurance agent are not reported on Schedule C. Thanks again Everyone Plus tip on Tax Book.

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                          When I was in my mid 20s a neighbor was a Life Insurance agent with MetLife. After he died his wife got his residual commissions for a while. I don't recall any 1099-Misc or W2 at that time just a check for a few thousand dollars made to her. If I recall I just put that as other income. I do remember speaking with the manager of the office and she told me that the old agent's contract had a clause that as long as the policy was in effect she would continue to get those residual commissions.

If you think about it it can't be self employed income because she was not self employed. It can't be W2 income either because her husband was dead. It could have been income to the estate but then it should have been paid as such.

In this case how much money are we talking about? Generally those residual commissions checks are less than $600 for the year that I seem to recall.
                          Commissions have been averaging about $1,000 a year.

Comment

Commissions have been averaging about $1,000 a year.
                            Nice little income for the widow!
                            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

If she has been reporting SE tax for the last 4 years, amend what you can.....

Comment

Working...
                              X