Health Savings Account Accidental Transfer/Withdrawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Savings Account Accidental Transfer/Withdrawl

I have a client that accidently transferred $7000 to an HSA and moved it back out the next day. Bank wont help and sent forms showing both.

Is there anything I can do to wash this out and not cause an extra tax on the non health related distribution?

Thanks

Chris

Was the HSA contribution legitimate? In other words, did he qualify to make the contribution, based on having a HDHP and other rules?

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
      Was the HSA contribution legitimate? In other words, did he qualify to make the contribution, based on having a HDHP and other rules?
      Yes

Chris

Comment

By chance any out of pocket medical expenses incurred during the qualified HSA eligible coverage period (even prior years, I think) that weren't paid with HSA funds?

Comment

Just to clarify, you are talking only about the early distribution penalty of 20%, because otherwise the deduction for HSA contribution cancels out the ordinary tax on distribution, correct?

"Exceptions. There is no additional tax on distributions made after the date you are disabled, reach age 65, or die."

"Is there anything I can do to wash this out and not cause an extra tax on the non health related distribution?"

No, but your taxpayer could retroactively die.
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
            I have a client that accidently transferred
            Funny thing, some people insist that car driving accidents be called "crashes", because the term "accident" somehow absolves the driver of responsibility, (FWIW, I don't agree). But under that theory, this was not an "accident", since taxpayer was fully qualified to make the HSA contribution. Sounds more like a case of regret, followed by a rash action that was not run by the tax professional first.

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post

No, but your taxpayer could retroactively die.

LOL. I love that. Thanks for the laugh!

Comment

As for the original question, I think your taxpayer may be stuck.

If the "withdrawal" had been set up as a "return of excess contribution", then that would have undone it and there would be no problem, but it wasn't done that way. And because it wasn't really an "excess" contribution, I don't even know if that would technically be allowable in the first place. As Robert said, at first glance it seems like he just changed his mind (and screwed things up by withdrawing it).

Comment

Just a follow up.. I'm not sure it makes any difference... Client said they had some fraud on an account and moved over the balance from their main account to this secondary account (I guess forgetting that it was an HSA) and then moving the money to a new account the next day.

In retrospect they should have moved that money directly into a new account, not the HSA

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X