Drake Dragging Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dtlee View Post
    They grab the fee from the invoice within the software.
    Why do they do that? Is that for marketing other products? IRS does not want that unless some bank or refund loan scheme is involved perhaps?
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I have asked them every year since I first observed that. They claim they need it for the few customers who offer bank products, but I have never (and will never) offer a bank product. They have never explained why they want it from all customers.

I have occasionally sent huge fees or negative fees just to see if they have been testing their software properly. I think I will do a couple of those tomorrow.
      Doug

Comment

I have occasionally sent huge fees or negative fees just to see if they have been testing their software properly. I think I will do a couple of those tomorrow.
        If they are grabbing your fee information for some unknown internal use and NOT for IRS or State, then that is a great idea to "mess" up any metrics they are using that for! I always suspect that corporations are data mining our information from various public and non public sources for their own benefit!
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

They grab the fee from the invoice within the software.
          But as I noted in my previous reply, they have no way of knowing whether that is what your client actually paid to you, unless somehow Drake is processing your client's payment of your fee (which would be true with bank products a.k.a. refund anticipation checks). But since Drake doesn't let you view the XML file transmitted to the IRS (which wouldn't contain this meta data anyway), how do you know Drake is "grabbing" it? What file or data stream are you able to examine and read the contents of (since usually I would expect it to be in binary machine-readable format, and encrypted when sent across the internet?) Now if you are using an online version of the software (SaaS) instead of desktop version, all bets are off, because then of course they can access anything, it's all on their servers.
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by sami View Post
            After using Drake for a over a decade and have one complaint is not a big deal. But the point I was trying to make here was to be cautious that the direct payment is not being received by the IRS. It is not the IRS fault....
            Seems like the IRS disagrees with you:
            https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2cec118
            Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
              a preview of things to come.
              In reality, I think this is an indication that Drake is trying to better control their costs.
              Makes sense when you look at the recent news.

Private Equity Firm Cinven to Invest in Drake Software

You can look up Cinven at Wikipedia. There is also a draft at Wikipedia for Drake software itself, although they leave out the controversy over Phil Drake's political activities.

Also, for those who hate Intuit because they offer a DIY tax product that competes with paid preparers, Drake does the same thing and has for years, although they are the opposite of transparent about it despite their claim of "transparency". With a new owner, do you think they might start advertising 1040.com more aggressively?

1040.com exists to help you do your own taxes online. We offer smart, simple, and affordable online tax returns.

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by sami View Post
                After using Drake for a over a decade and have one complaint is not a big deal. But the point I was trying to make here was to be cautious that the direct payment is not being received by the IRS.
                It is not the IRS fault because the person I got on the phone, spent over 40 minutes looking for all the payments and he sounded very experienced and explained me the entire process. While I have no answer to give it to my client in regards to the payment, which ultimately could cause them penalties so my reputation.

I don't mind the hold time if I know I will get good results after being awaiting on phone. The problem is they pick up the phone promptly but not resolve the issue.
                This is completely incorrect. The IRS issued a press release last week stating they are two weeks behind on taking payments but will get to all of them eventually. We made calls ourselves, and also had specific clients call, and all were told the same thing: the IRS is behind, they're doing their best, and will get to all payments.

Blaming Drake for the IRS not acting on information sent is ridiculous.

That said, while in general their support is fabulous, I've run into a couple of new people this year who are not yet at the level of most of Drake's support staff. They will learn (or be dismissed). If I am not sure of the answer I get, I call back again and speak to someone new. Hold time -- considering I'm STILL waiting the promised call-back-within-48 hours from my old software vendor from February 2013, and considering I have not yet called the IRS this year and been on hold less than 35 minutes -- I can put up with two minutes' wait for Drake. Heck, I could call them a dozen times before I'd expect the IRS to pick up once.
                "The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it continues until it destroys." -Prof. Bernardo de la Paz

Comment

Working...
                X