Wisconsin state impact of Retirement Distribution under CARES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wisconsin state impact of Retirement Distribution under CARES

I have a client that took out 100K from his 401k under the CARES act. The 1099 is coded 1 and I eliminated the penalty with code 12. The 8915E is populated and shows 33K taxable for this year, with carryovers for the next 2 years. So far, so good.

My issue is with his state. He lives in Wisconsin. Based on what I'm reading, it appears that WI follows Fed treatment. But the software (Lacerte) doesn't seem to be doing this.

It generates WI schedule I Adjustments to convert 2020 Fed AGI to amounts allowable for WI. Populates line 2H, pension adj and adds back 66K to the Federal AGI. So it looks like WI is taxing the entire amount.

Does this seem correct, those that are familiar with WI? If not, how can I fix this in Lacerte? Anyone know? Thank you.

Here is the link that makes it sound like WI follows Fed:

(#10)

Ask Lacerte if their latest update includes the latest WI update.

Comment

Interestingly, Minnesota does NOT conform so it NEEDS to be added back to the State, but ProSeries (also from Intuit) is NOT adding it to Minnesota.

Maybe we should switch. :-)

Comment

Just a quick note. Read the instructions to 8915E. No need for Code 12 on the 5329 to eliminate the 10% penalty. Electing it is a Covid distribution on the 8915E automatically removes the 10% penalty.

Comment

You are correct that WI has conformed to federal treatment of covid retirement distributions. Unfortunately, I don't use Lacerte, so I can't help you with the software. I would make sure your software is up to date, and if it is up to date and still adding it back as income for WI, call tech support for Lacerte. WI conformed to that part of federal law back in April 2020, so your software shouldn't be out of date in regards to that.

Comment

Is there a list of what states are conforming to the 8915-E coronavirus distribution?
            I am asking for NJ, NY, and PA in particular. Searching but posting in parallel.

PS - Have we heard how the $10,200 will be adjusted? I would have to assume at out level.

Thanks again...
            Enjoy the day...

PSS - My son has his WHITE COAT ceremony later today (medical school).
            Taxing Day! Wife always gets anxious!
            Matthew Jones
            Tax Preparation
            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
            Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Working...
            X