Withholding on Social Security Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Withholding on Social Security Benefits

How do you arrange to have Withholding on your Social Security Benefits? I checked my SSA account and it gives me all sorts of information but nothing on how to set up Withholding.
    Jiggers, EA

Hubby started SS benefits last month. He had a phone appointment, basically a call-back, in response to his phoned-in question. The call-back took place as scheduled. The SSA was much more responsive than the IRS !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
      How do you arrange to have Withholding on your Social Security Benefits? I checked my SSA account and it gives me all sorts of information but nothing on how to set up Withholding.
      You can mail in a Form W-4V to SS with four options as to which % you want withheld

Comment

You wouldn't happen to have a phone number?
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

Hubby returns about 3 pm, so I'll check back then.

Comment

New York Enrolled Agent provided what they will tell you on the phone. They tell you specifically not to come in and they cannot withhold based on a phone call. Based on personal experience, they are not too good at handling the mail either, but it is the only way. You must look up the address (or get it on the phone) of your local Social Security Office and mail it to that address. Ours suggested that I provide a note with a phone number to reach me during the day if they have problems (there are four boxes, you check one). I am living dangerously, so I sent it in (again) without any note. I know people who have had withholding set up, so it is not as much of an issue as I am making it sound.

Fill out and sign Form W-4V.

Mail it to your local Social Security Office.
            Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
              Try this if not available in your “my” social security account.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...axwithold.html
              Last edited by TAXNJ; 02-25-2021, 06:42 PM.
              Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

You mail in or take the W-4v to you local SSA office. Nothing you can do on phone or online that i know of. In my area they actually move pretty quickly. Getting it to a live person is the problem with the pandemic disturbance.

Comment

Hubby doesn't remember what he did for his January beginning! I know I told him to withhold the max. He needs to check his January deposit for the amount. He may be looking for a SSA office to take in a Form W-4V. Why is it always family that does this to us?!

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                    Hubby doesn't remember what he did for his January beginning! I know I told him to withhold the max. He needs to check his January deposit for the amount. He may be looking for a SSA office to take in a Form W-4V. Why is it always family that does this to us?!

you might look at the Social Security website first: - from the website:

Social Security Office Locator
                    We are OPEN to receive your calls

On Tuesday, March 17, 2020, we suspended face-to-face service to the public in our field offices and hearings offices nationwide until further notice. However, we are still able to provide critical services via phone, fax and online.

see link: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...axwithold.html
                    Last edited by TAXNJ; 02-26-2021, 09:13 PM.
                    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I went by my local Social Security office in early May 2020 to initiate withholding. They were closed, but a phone number was on the front door, and I called from the sidewalk outside. Repr answered and told me the same thing as above. Complete and sign W-4V (downloaded from IRS forms/pubs) and mail to local office. I did, and withholding started in July. I suppose if you want to stop it at some point in time, you do the same thing.

Comment

Mail to my local SS office? TaxNJ said they're working on items via phone, fax, and online. I don't have any idea if anyone ever goes in there to pick up mail to process. Hubby's phone interview when he set up SS benefits was not even in our state; it was in RI or NY or NH or someplace outside of CT. I have clients ask about how to contact the SSA, but I have enough trouble finding how to contact the IRS &/or CT !!

Comment

I estimate more than 99% of all withholding is via W-2 and 1099-R forms, I think I've seen 1099-SSA with withholding maybe twice in 15 years.

If someone has no W-2 or 1099-R income, I understand the desire to have withholding taken somewhere. This seems like an easy need to fulfill, either by IRS or the private sector, but no one has. Note that it can be both federal and state issue, and 1099-SSA will not show state withholding in any case, for those states that tax SS benefits.

The IRS could set up EFTPS (and similar for states) to handle monthly payments (I believe you can schedule future payments, but not recurring payments). Should be easy, for example many charities allow donors to sign up for monthly contributions made automatically.

Or, for a fee, the bank where your SS benefits are deposited could withdraw a set amount each month into an escrow account (similar to mortgage escrow), and then make quarterly estimated payments on your behalf.

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

IRS's DirectPay: https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

Comment

I think I've seen 1099-SSA with withholding maybe twice in 15 years.
                              I see it about twice a year with only 25 clients receiving ssi.
                              "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

Working...
                              X