Stimulus dependent in '19 not in '20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stimulus dependent in '19 not in '20

Parents claimed child in 2019 and received stimulus payment for him. 2020 parents aren't claiming child, but child's 2020 return is giving him $1800 (both stimulus payments.) Is that correct? Am I answering something wrong? Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Rich View Post
    Parents claimed child in 2019 and received stimulus payment for him. 2020 parents aren't claiming child, but child's 2020 return is giving him $1800 (both stimulus payments.) Is that correct? Am I answering something wrong? Thanks in advance
    Something is not adding up... You say the parents got a stimulus for the child? That means this child had to be 16 or younger.. Why are they not claiming a 17 year old child??

Chris

Comment

I agree with spanel. If they are not claiming the child because the child provided more than 50% of his own support, I might say it is okay. However, if they could have claimed the child, it is likely that somewhere in your software you forgot to check the box saying something like "can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer."
      Doug

Comment

Working...
      X